Temporary Social Security Numbers

Publish date: 

Wednesday, October 10, 2018
  • In order to work in the U.S. or to take advantage of tax treaties, individuals must have a social security number (SSN).
  • While individuals may start work without an SSN, they must apply for one shortly afterwards.
  • Between the time individual requests a SSN and a SSN is issued, Harvard may issue a temporary social security number for Harvard students (and some faculty) for internal use only.
  • The temporary SSN is for Harvard use only and should not be communicated to the employee.
  • The temporary SSN should not be used when completing or submitting GLACIER documentation or on Direct Deposit Forms.
  • Individuals without an official SSN are ineligible for tax treaties and cannot apply for tax refunds.

See the Harvard International Office for details on applying for a SSN.

It is important for tax purposes that new SSNs are submitted to Payroll/Student Services as soon as they are received. Please encourage individuals to bring their new SSN in as soon as they are received.